I am a Registered Dietitian, writer, blogger, and busy mom of a blended family. My passion for nutrition started back in my freshman year of college when I came home for Christmas break, close to 15 pounds heavier than when I left in September.
How did this happen? I had always been able to eat whatever I wanted without gaining a pound. I never thought my body would succumb to the dreaded “freshman 15.” Determined to get the weight off, I returned to school and began slashing calories and increasing my exercise. Though the pounds started dropping off, I felt weak and knew I wasn’t getting the proper nourishment my body needed. Then, my weight fell to a dangerously low level. Knowing I wanted to regain a few pounds, but fearing being overweight again, I found myself on the fringe of an eating disorder that led to low self-esteem, muscle loss, and an unhealthy, warped relationship with food. It was then that I decided to take my first nutrition class.
The journey had begun.
Years later, with a nutrition degree and Registered Dietitian credential under my belt, I have been able to help countless clients navigate the world of weight control, dieting and managing their chronic conditions without deprivation.
Because I am passionate about nutrition, I strive to teach my clients how to view their eating habits through a different lens. Instead of focusing on the “can’t have that” and “eat less of those,” I choose to concentrate on what you CAN have and what to eat MORE of. Food is nourishment. My goal is to help you find the right balance of delicious, nutritious food that you look forward to eating every day. I’ll teach you how to blend wholesome, homemade cooking with “Jane approved” healthy convenience foods so you don’t spend all day in the kitchen.
I’m also here to guide, cheerlead, and coach you through the often confusing and frustrating world of nutrition and weight loss. We all know that old habits die hard. We’ll work together to problem solve any obstacles, stubborn behaviors, or negative thinking that may be in your way.
Rest assured, I live and breathe the world of nutrition, and pride myself on staying current by reading countless studies, journals and newsletters to bring you the latest and greatest evidence based advice.
Here is a snapshot of some of my typical clients. Do you recognize yourself?
- “I’ve read almost every weight-related diet book and magazine article but just can’t seem to put it all together.”
- “I suffer from high cholesterol (diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, or other chronic disease) and feel lost with how to realistically manage my condition.”
- “I would like to reduce or eliminate many of my medications.”
- “I have a busy and hectic lifestyle and want to learn how to fit healthy food into my day.”
- “I’m confused about whether to eat low carb, high protein, no dairy, vegetarian, or any other plan out there.”
- “I’ve been told to eat more healthy fats but I’m afraid of gaining weight.”
- “I’m desperate to put family friendly meals on the table without spending hours in the kitchen.”
- “I open my cabinet to get a snack or make lunch and never seem to have the right foods on hand.”
- “I rush out of the house in the morning without eating breakfast and grab coffee and something sweet on the way to work.”
- “I struggle with how to combat unhealthy foods in the break room or cafeteria at my workplace.”
- “I eat out a lot and don’t know how to navigate the menu in restaurants.”
- “I exercise right after work and don’t know what or how to eat before and after my workout.”
- “I never had a weight problem until I hit menopause – now the pounds won’t come off no matter what I do.”
- “I’m a busy professional and travel a lot. I end up eating junk, airport, and hotel food and don’t know how to manage my eating while traveling.”
If you can relate to any of the above scenarios, and are tired of spinning your wheels, I’m here to help. A lifestyle of pleasurable eating that leaves you satisfied, calms your cravings, and heals or prevents chronic conditions awaits you! See my list of services here.