This is a great gluten-free dish that can be eaten for breakfast, lunch OR dinner. I got the original recipe from Danielle Omar RD, who used kale as the primary vegetable (i have made this version and its delicious). I have modified it slightly in that I now use whatever veggies I have on hand. Last time, I used red peppers and brocoli. Today, I used asparagus, yellow pepper and spinach. Be creative, and enjoy! I love making this on a Sunday and having it available during the week.
1 cup cooked quinoa
2 Tbs olive oil (or combo of olive oil and butter)
1 bunch kale (or 2 cups veggies of choice)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
1/2 cup feta cheese
6 whole eggs
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 and prepare a 9″ pie plate (with butter or cooking spray). Cook quinoa according to package directions. Set aside.
2. Slice onion thinly. Heat oil and/or butter in large saute pan on medium heat. Add sliced onions and cook until soft and browned, about 20-30 minutes. Remove from pan and place in bowl.
3. Clean and chop kale (or veggies of choice); cook for 5 minutes in same pan as onions
4. Add cooked veggies, cooked quinoa, garlic and cheeses to mixing bowl with onions. Stir until all ingredients distributed.
5. In small bowl, whisk eggs. Pour over quinoa veggie mixture, and stir until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Pour mixture into prepared pie dish. Bake for about 45 minutes, until top is golden brown and pie has started to pull away from edges. Serve hot or at room temperature.